23 December 2009






Creative Process:

This particular suite of five images was selected from over three
hundred images shot on the route between Sarasota, FL and Melbourne, FL. The images were shot through either the driver or passenger side window. I typically hold the camera at arm's length as the vehicle moves at speeds between 45-70mph. I intentionally do not look thru the viewfinder. This method of capturing images seems to more accurately reflect the suburban experience of moving through the landscape, from place-to-place, in an automobile.

As a result of that process, I never quite know what I have captured.
This adds an element of chance and random spontaneity to the work. I typically respond to the selected images by adding physical layers of information to the surface. These physical layers generally take the form of paint, collage elements, drawing or diagrammatic information. That information is added in layers as the drawing is developed over several work sessions.  I rarely, if ever, pre-plan the work. Its a risky creative process, but the conceptual/formal challenge of creating the visual narrative and pulling the image out of the ground keeps me engaged in the work.

Click the images to enlarge.



You can view my professional work at:
http://webspace.ringling.edu/~rfarber/index.html





























No comments:

Post a Comment